Tuesday, March 17, 2009

I'm Done!

A handful of years back, I made this same statement on an online journal and it really helped me 1) become accountable for the statement and 2) keep things in perspective.

I am done talking about the size of my body, weight and everyone else's body size and weight. No good ever comes from this and often quickly turns judgemental and negative. While I have been thinking about this for some time, the drama surrounding Meghan McCain is what has motivated me to finally say something.

It is especially disheartening when a woman's weight is used as an insult by another woman in a forum that has nothing to do with looks. Laura Ingram resort to school yard antics because she wanted to make herself look superior and all she really did was look like a bitch. I have the utmost admiration for Meghan for standing up for herself and reminding us that as women we do need to stick together and not use something as petty as weight as an argument for why someone should not be involved in politics.

As a woman living in our society I feel constant scrutiny about my appearance. I feel that I am being judged by everyone around me (strangers and friends alike) for the outfit I wear, if my make up is nice or how much I weigh. Though some of this is a self-involved statement, there is a lot of truth to the amount of pressure that all women feel to look a certain way. And I am done with it.

I am talking talking about it with friends about what we wish our bodies looked like or the size we really want to be. In the end no one feels good about the conversation and it only just makes us look at our faults as opposed to the great parts about it. It leads to a feeling of competitiveness and jealousy towards the people we are supposed to be loving the most - next to ourselves of course.

While, sure I am going to continue to eat healthy and watch what goes into my body I am doing it for how it all makes me feel. I still love drinking cocktails and beer and my love for all things sugary and salty hasn't subsided, I just need to make sure I make the right choices so that in the end everything balances out.

My body has been the same size for almost two years now, and its not going to change, so I just need to start loving it more because it is the only one I get.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.