Monday, July 7, 2008

Round Two: Equilibrium vs. Say Anything...

So after about a month between films, since my counterpart was on a perpetual vacation, our movie watching was back on. We watched "Equilibrium" like three weeks back or something and at the time I had more insight on the film and I should have just wrote about it then. But I had wanted to wait until we watched my film choice.

I liked Equilibrium, its hard not to like anything Christian Bale is in (even when he is a Nazi youth, you still can't help but lust). Plus Taye Diggs is a hottie. I obviously paid attention to the important parts of the film ;) While I never read 1984 or Brave New World, the parallels weren't lost on me. Though I was also thinking about how it also seemed to have undertones of how over medicated America was/is when it comes to dealing with mental health issues. But I could be reading way too much into it and I am too lazy to do actual research to figure out if this is an actual theory. Also, it wasn't so much that they didn't have emotion but rather it was compassion or other similar feelings right? Because there was obviously feelings of anger and vindication.

I'd give it a 3 out 5 ... probably only really watch it again because it is Christian Bale

"Say Anything ..." there is a lot that I could say about this film and after watching it again, for what has been probably years since I last saw it I came to realize that this movie shaped more of my perspective on life than I thought. I first saw it right after I had graduated high school, was going to move to Seattle and it just seemed like perfect timing. It doesn't even bother me that Lloyd basically revolves his life around her - and coming from a commitment-phobe like myself - that is saying a lot.

Plus it has such quintessential lines like "I gave her my heart and she gave me a pen" and "I'm Lloyd Dobler." For me, its the type of movie that makes me smile most of the way through, no matter how many times I watch it.

No comments: