Tuesday, January 20, 2009

History in the making

It is no secret that I get my boisterousness and opinions from my father. In fact, while my whole family is democrats, I always think of my father when it comes to politics and the side I choose. It is because of my father that I feel such a strong connection to the Kennedys. True, most Irish-Catholic households in America feel a strong connection to them as well, but I would say its not as prevalent today as it was 40 years ago.

I have heard my father speak passionately about many things, but to hear him talk about JFK and RFK there is this incredible sense of emotion and pride in his voice. I have only one memory of my dad crying - but when he told me about when RFK was shot and how my dad was supposed to be there that night- he got choked up. This is why I have a soft spot for all things Kennedy and for why I was the only person silent as we passed by the Eternal Flame in Arlington in eighth grade and this is why I feel a strong connection to Barack Obama.

My dad has been talking about Obama for years. After he spoke at the DNC, my dad (and Oprah) knew he would make a phenomenal president. It didn't hurt that Obama went to Occidental like my dad and was from Illinois, like my dad. But there was that same passion, same emotion in my dad's voice when he talked about Obama that he as with the Kennedys.

And that is why I get charmed by Obama's charisma, believe that change in this country will happen and why I couldn't wipe the smile off my face as he was sworn into office.

No comments: