Friday, January 9, 2009

I can't believe this

The Seattle P-I is being put up for sale. Now, I know that print journalism is slowly and unfortunately becoming archaic, but it still just breaks my heart a bit to see it go like this. True, there is the Seattle Times, but I am just not a fan of it. There is something about the P-I, perhaps the ties to SU and all the people I know who have interned or worked there, that makes me choose it over the Times.

I suppose the silver lining of this all is that it if it does not get bought that it could continue as an online only paper -- which would still make me happy. This is yet, just another reason that makes me question the career path that I chose. While, journalism isn't dead by any means - and really its not as though it will ever leave- it is just changing in a way that I don't know if I am prepared for. Its no secret that my time in college I was taught mostly old school journalism and by the time any digial media classes were offered, I neither had the space nor time to take them.

Perhaps some of my sadnesses of the sale is linked to what it means in the greater world of print media in general. But nevertheless it is yet just another reason why my love for this city is slowly but surely coming to an end.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

This is crazy! Man, I feel so out of the loop right now... I need to read some news or something.