Monday, August 27, 2007

Beer, fries and good tunes

In the past few weeks I have been frequenting Fremont, more and more. I don't know why I never went out that way before. Except for the occasional trip to the Troll or to visit my good friend Lenin, I never had ventured out that way. Perhaps it was my laziness of having to take two buses over there, or the fear of the taking an unknown bus for the first time and ending up somewhere completely different.

My first recent trip was to the Ballroom, for an acquaintance's birthday. While going on a Tuesday night helped keep the atmosphere nice and chill. The well drinks were over-priced. $5 for a rum and coke? Give me a break. But since I didn't end up having to pay for it, I can't complain too much. But that definitely turned me off from coming back, plus I heard that it turns into a dance club on the weekends, where all the yuppie Fremont-ites go to let loose. Though despite all this seemingly negativity surrounding it, I did have a good time. It was probably because of the company.

My latest voyage to Fremont was the other night to see my roommate's co-worker's band Hey Marseilles perform. They were performing at the High Dive, which is an upscale place pretending to be a dive bar (but I guess that is most of Fremont). But their drinks weren't too bad, food was reasonably priced, though apparently the mini chicken n' cheese tacos are a hot commodity because as of 7:45pm, they were sold out. But their jalapeno tarter sauce for the fries is magnificent.

Okay, back to why I was there in the first place, Hey Marseilles. Man, were they good. I mean, not "hey I sorta know someone in the band so I am going to say they are good" good. But actually really good. Though they do not want to be classified as "emo" they do sound an awful lot like all the upbeat Bright Eyes songs (the few that there are). But that is not a bad thing in my book. In fact that is what I liked about their sound. They seemed to also be channeling a little bit of my new favorite Canadian band Stars (who will be in Seattle on Nov. 16). They had everything from an accordion to a stand up bass to a ukulele. All the instruments flowed well and they were fun to watch.

However, the night was spoiled a bit by the invasion of "Tuna Breath." TB, as he will be called, swooped and quickly invaded my personal space, which wasn't a lot considering I was in a crowded bar. As the story always goes with skeevy guys, I was relentless hit-on. He did not catch on to my subtle and not-so-subtle hints that I was not going to talk/go outside/give him my number. And his, who despite being way more sober than TB, sat and watched as his friend continued to bother me and he did nothing about it (this could also be said for one of my friends who decided he didn't want to help me out....ass). Needless to say not the greatest experience of my life, but not the worse either. They eventually left and I got to enjoy the last few songs in TB-free space.

However, the crazy thing did not occur until walking back from work yesterday. I realize I know TB. To protect myself from him EVER finding me again, I will not say how, but if you want to know, ask I and I'll find a different medium to tell the tale. But all I am saying is that I hope I never run into him again and that he doesn't ruin another Hey Marseilles show for me.

No comments: