Sunday, August 17, 2008

Don't Believe the Hype


I don't get the whole "Twilight"phenomenon. I knew that the books were a big thing- the Harry Potter for the religious folk. Then I head that they were making it into a movie and all of a sudden it was this BFD. So I figured, okay -I'll read them. I always like to read the book before the movie. To at least be my elitist self and say "well the book is so much better. I don't understand how they could get 'x, y, and z' so wrong." I got the first book finally from the library. I gave it my requisite 50 page rule and wasn't impressed - but one to want to see what the hype is about I finished the book. Man, what a disappointment.

(WARNING SPOILERS)

But there were just so many major points of the plot that I could not get into. Putting aside the terrible writing of Stephanie Meyer. It is an insult to the YA genre almost. It is something that i would have read in middle school -maybe late 5th grade (whatever year it was I started reading Sweet Valley High). It is just such simple writing, i had to force myself to get into the certain moments which are supposed to be high sexual tension and emotional.

The points that really bother me:

1) Who is Meyer to discount hundreds of years of vampire lore and legend. I mean it is common knowledge that Vampires cannot be outside during the day because they will get burned by the sun. They can't be around crucifixes, holy water, etc. But no, according to Meyer, she just takes it upon herself to change all of this.

2) How overly dramatic/emo Bella is. I know that she is 17 and every thing is be all and end all. But even when I was 17 I didn't fall for the "oh, I love you," after a few days of knowing someone. And I definitely don't believe it now at 23. Plus she is just an idiot -I mean really, how do you know at 17 you want to be with someone for the REST of life. especially when that person is a vampire and now you are saying -no begging- to become a vampire too. Give me a break. Even Buffy and Angel which are (for at least this generation) are the quintessential human/vampire love story and Buffy didn't beg to become a vampire. Talk about your forbidden love, but they worked with it until it didn't work anymore and both moved on (eventually). And might I point out, Buffy was also a teenager when this happened.


3) I can do unrealistic. I can do vampire/human love. I did love love with Buffy was with Angel and even when she was with Spike. I read YA (Sarah Dessen, favorite author). But yet, somehow that combination does not work for me when it comes to Twilight.

So I can understand, that as a 23-year-old, I might not be on the same level as a 13-year-old and not be as emo as them. But two of my really good friends have read it (one read the entire series) and both loved it. I mean, use of exclamation points when describing it, loved it. I know I am a tad cynical, a little jaded when it comes to most things, but really I don't see what the big deal is. I guess I. Just. Don't. Get. It.
I am holding out on Riz, for when/if she finally reads it and at least feels the same way I do.

No comments: