Tuesday, August 12, 2008

My Absolute Favorite Thing About Summer:


This past weekend I did one of my favorite things to do during the summer: read an entire book in one day. While I am not talking about something long and in depth (like, say A Prayer for Owen Meany, that I am still 2oo pages into). It was in fact, the book, that you see to the left (more on that in a moment), The Queen of Babble Gets Hitched.

Of course, now that I am not in school anymore, I can read books in one day any time of year, but there was just something about sitting on my couch curled up with a good book all afternoon and night that made it really feel like summer. Perhaps it is from the many, many summers in which I did just that. I had a stack of books that I would try to plow through knowing, once September came along I would not be able to read any more books for fun until December. How many hours passed sitting at the Riz's house each of us reading a book, at times when we no longer played Barbies or paper dolls? Even during those years, we would still spend so many hours of our week at each other's house reading.

So this past Saturday as I was reading my book and the Bex was reading hers, I just felt a wave of nostalgia and what I love about summer.

But, back to the book that I read, now don't get me wrong, I still love Meg Cabot. I love that her novels are somewhat predictable and really not realistic (duh, its fiction). While I was upset that she turned Queen of Babble into a series, i was pretty satisfied with this latest book. Though let's just hope she doesn't jump the shark like she did with The Princess Diaries (really? Mia using sex as a way to keep Michael, what happened to our strong female character). With any luck, this is is the last one, leaving us with good memories of the characters and feeling comfortable knowing that they are where they are supposed to be.

No comments: